Your dentist will perform a comprehensive dental exam at your initial dental visit. At regular re-care appointments, your dentist and hygienist will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic digital radiographs (x-rays): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts and bone loss. Radiographs also help to determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc…
- Examination of the Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ), as well as examination of all muscles within the head and neck region.